Created at the late 90th, PHP still remains the most popular and friendly server-side scripting language, it is installed on more than 244 million websites (including Facebook and Wikipedia) and 2.1 million web servers.
Initially it was designed for web development but can also be used as a general-purpose programming language. We often use it in our development, because stability always was and remains the most important criteria for our projects.
PHP technology is widespread and still is common and preferable technology for:
- E-commerce platforms;
- Social Networks;
- Standalone apps
Why choose PHP ?
There are at least 7 reasons to do so:
- All famous CMS systems are written at PHP: Joomla, WordPress, Drupal, Magento – all of them !
- PHP is free, open-source technology, there is no need to buy it – just take and use for development.
- Powerful and popular frameworks, such as Zend Framework, Yii, Laravel, Symphony – all are PHP frameworks.
- No matter Windows or Linux – PHP is multi-platform technology, so no need of hard choice.
- You can host PHP sites everywhere, almost every hosting company provides it!
- Great number of libraries, tools and other “magnificent features” are developed for PHP, most of them are free to use.
- Almost every type of website can be done based on PHP code. No needs in inventing the bicycle.
“To CMS or not to CMS…
That is the question”
Different tasks require different solutions. This is obvious. And what to do with site ? Should it be developed using existing CMS or coded from scratch ? The answer is also obvious: it depends on site.
There are standard type of sites, which most of CMS were developed for: main page, blog, news, contacts, simple e-store, photo-gallery …
Want something unique ? Can this unique be done through CMS usage ? Yes, it can.
The problem is how long will it take and in most cases it requires huge amount of additional coding to make CMS fitting client needs. And it sometimes takes more time and requires bigger budget than developing from scratch.
Finally, in somes cases CMS are less flexible, less adaptive and less functional than a development from scratch.
Anyway the final solution is up to you – what we can do to help with solution is make analysis and give our recommendations: at some cases CMS is preferable, at other cases — development from scratch results in powerful and unique product.